Kaci Sutton- Journal #8

Today, there were many children there. Almost all the boys from boys group, except two, came to Homework club today. I paid close attention to how the middle school boys and girls acted because I was just in separate groups with both of them this week. Although they don’t know what each group talks about, I do. I noticed one of the girls, let’s call her Molly, kept flirting with one of the boys. Boys typically don’t know when a girl is mean to them or hitting them that they like them. The boy was getting really irritated with her. The girl even stole the boy’s shoes. I found that a bit extreme since she ran outside with them. She gave them back. I went outside, too, to see what the girl was going to do with the shoes and how the boy was going to react. Molly gave the shoes back and the two boys outside, the one who got his shoes taken and another boy, were really annoyed. They called Molly a man. I told them that was not nice to say. They said she was manly. “She’s a gorilla,” one of the boys said. I could not believe my ears. I asked them what made her a gorilla. They said she’s tough. I asked them what was wrong with that. They said, “She’s a girl. She’s supposed to be gentle.” I felt bad for Molly. She didn’t know she intimidated them and the boys viewed her as how society portrays women, these humans that have to be submissive, gentle, and a caretaker or they are rejected. Molly does not realize how she comes off to them. In fact, her height intimidated the boys. They didn’t say so, but I thought back to boys group and how they told me if a girl is taller it freaks them out. They were rude to her a lot and she was rude right back. It reminded me of growing up. I got along with boys just fine, but when I like someone I am meaner to them, too. Perhaps it is a defense mechanism. I’m not sure, but I am also independent like Molly so maybe I just don’t want to appear soft either. It was extremely interesting how the guys and girls interacted today.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *
*
*